When starting with personal branding, using 1st person writing can make your brand feel more personal, informal, approachable, and engaging. Here’s an elaboration on why 1st person writing is often a great choice for individuals who want to create a strong, relatable personal brand, especially when they’re in the early stages of establishing themselves:
- Personal Connection: Writing in the 1st person, using phrases like “I am” or “I do,” creates an immediate personal connection with your audience. It feels like you’re having a direct conversation with them. This approach is effective in making your audience feel like they know you as a person, not just as a brand.
- Authenticity: 1st person writing allows you to speak authentically in your own voice. This authenticity is crucial for building trust and credibility with your audience. It shows that you are being genuine and transparent about who you are and what you stand for.
- Approachability: When you use 1st person, it makes you seem more approachable and relatable. It breaks down barriers and allows your audience to feel like they can reach out to you, engage in conversations, and ask questions without hesitation.
- Storytelling: Personal branding often involves telling your unique story and sharing your journey. 1st person writing is ideal for storytelling because it allows you to convey your experiences, values, and aspirations in a personal and emotive way. This storytelling can captivate your audience and create a lasting impression.
- Engagement: The informal and conversational tone of 1st person writing tends to encourage engagement. People are more likely to comment, share, and interact with content that feels like a genuine conversation, fostering a sense of community around your personal brand.
- Audience-Centric: By using “I” and “me,” you can focus on addressing your audience’s needs and interests directly. This approach demonstrates that you’re putting your audience first and that you’re genuinely interested in helping or connecting with them.
- Building a Foundation: When you’re just starting with personal branding, it’s important to build a strong foundation of authenticity and connection. 1st person writing helps you establish this foundation by showcasing your personality, values, and aspirations.
- Flexibility: While 1st person is typically more personal and informal, it doesn’t mean you can’t convey confidence or competence. You can still highlight your achievements and expertise in a positive and self-assured manner.
Overall, using 1st person writing in your personal branding efforts can set the tone for a more human, relatable, and approachable brand. It allows you to establish a strong connection with your audience from the outset, which is essential for building a loyal and engaged following as you progress in your personal branding journey.